San Antonio will welcome, for the second time, Red Bull ‘Last Stand’ on Saturday, October 7. The night-time event will be free for all spectators and will offer spectacular views of athletes riding at speeds of up to 40mph with the iconic Alamo Plaza serving as the backdrop to the race.
For Red Bull Last Stand the typical crit race format is getting a Texas-style overhaul with the new ‘Eliminator’ format. In this cutthroat setup, the rider who crosses the finish line last on each lap gets eliminated until there’s just one rider left to take their final celebration lap. The event will consist of four races:
· Fixed Women
· Fixed Men
· Geared Women
· Geared Men
*Must be 16+ years old to participate
The event is an invitational and free to apply. Riders selected to participate will be notified via the information submitted on the registration site.
All riders will be required to have a current USA Cycling or UCI racing license. Individual One Day licenses will be available for purchase on site for riders who do not have a current license. The event is held under USA Cycling permit 2016-947 and will be held rain or shine.
A 15-minute timed group session with a max of 50 riders with the fastest transponder time used to qualify and seed the top 50 riders for the Men’s Finals and top 30 riders for the Women’s Finals
- Men’s finals will be 50 laps with the last rider across the finish line being removed after every lap until one last rider remains.
- Women’s finals will be 30 laps with the last rider across the finish line being removed after every lap until one last rider remains.
·There will be no free laps for mishaps, crashes, or mechanicals…the last rider across the line will be eliminated, period.
Double Down Award:
There will be an additional award to the woman and man who complete the most combined laps in Fixed Gear and Geared races that hold the highest single finish in either discipline
Applying to Race
Applications: Riders are encouraged to apply early as fields will fill up fast. Application to race is free.
Applications will open on June 1, 2017
Awards ceremonies and podium presentations will be following the Geared Men’s race. Awards will be given for the following results:
- Fixed Gear Women’s – Top three riders
- Fixed Gear Men’s – Top three riders
- Geared Women’s – Top three riders
- Geared Men’s – Top three riders
- Women’s Double Down – Rider completing the most combined laps in Fixed Gear and Geared races and the highest single finish
- Men’s Double Down – Rider completing the most combined laps in Fixed Gear and Geared races and the highest single finish